Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mocap into Cascadeur from 3ds Max, testing, drafts, etc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mocap into Cascadeur from 3ds Max, testing, drafts, etc.

First test, workflow(2019.2b);
    standard_model.casc > export FBX (scene) > Import FBX to 3ds Max 2020 (using default 'Autodesk Media & Entertainment' preset for FBX import) > add mocap to imported Cascadeur rig (in 3ds Max) > export FBX from Max (using default 'Autodesk Media & Entertainment' preset for FBX export) > Import FBX file back into standard_model.casc > results(see vids below), works, except for... scale? The scale on the FBX settings for import/export was, 'Auto.' I'll test some additional exports using different scales/scene units (Max, system unit scale, 1 inch = 1 unit, etc.)
    Results;
    (in 3ds Max viewport, after import & mocap added)

(in Cascadeur, after import of FBX from 3ds Max)

(I'm not sure what the scale is for Cascadeur, but I'd guess it's metric, -which I'll test first)

Notes:
    On Export, from 3ds Max, the following Warnings & Errors were printed;
    ----------------------
    "Warning and Errors:
    The FBX file format cannot represent the transformation of some nodes in the scene due to the limitation of FBX SDK. To avoid this, adjust Bone binding matrices of the problematic Skins.
    The following Bones will have incorrect Bone binding matrices under the associated Skins:
    -thigh_r
    -thigh_twist_r
    -calf_r
    -pelvis
    -thigh_l
    -stomach
    -thigh_twist_l
    -calf_l
    -forearm_twist_r
    -forearm_twist_l
    -arm_l
    -forearm_l
    -biceps_twist_l
    -hand_l
    -chest
    -neck
    -clavicle_l
    -clavicle_r
    -arm_r
    -biceps_twist_r
    -forearm_r
    -toe_r
    -foot_r
    -hand_r
    -toe_l
    -foot_l
    -f_big1_l
    -f_main1_l
    -f_main2_l
    -f_main3_l
    -f_pointer1_l
    -f_pointer3_l
    -f_pointer2_l
    -f_big3_l
    -f_big2_l
    -f_big1_r
    -f_main1_r
    -f_main2_r
    -f_main3_r
    -f_pointer1_r
    -f_pointer3_r
    -f_pointer2_r
    -f_big3_r
    -f_big2_r
    -head"
    ----------------------
    Link to the Cascadeur scene file as a zip ("Punching export standard_model.zip");
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HkO...ew?usp=sharing

Feedback welcomed, glad to answer questions, try other workflows, etc. (currently testing more )

It worked ! It was a scale issue. I changed the export from the default 'Auto' settings, in scale, to centimeters (same as Maya, default scale),
    and the mocap comes through great! I made no other changes to the workflow mentioned above.
    Result;

Mocap into Cascadeur from Max, Yaaaa Cascadeur !

Comment

whoa wait so you imported this into 3ds max and then added mo cap to the bone rig? dang you could teach me a thing or 2 about 3ds max retargeting then. idk how one would put mocap on a line-bones fbx export rig... unless 2020 is something special and different

Comment

Originally posted by wrayayrton View Post
        whoa wait so you imported this into 3ds max and then added mo cap to the bone rig? dang you could teach me a thing or 2 about 3ds max retargeting then. idk how one would put mocap on a line-bones fbx export rig... unless 2020 is something special and different
        Hahaha, Thank You ! I claim no expertise, nothing fancy here . I went the super simple route, -used Mixamo; https://www.mixamo.com . I'm guessing it could be done a bunch of different ways? (Motionbuilder, Akeytsu, CAT retargeting maybe? , run it through Maya first, might be a way to do it inside of UE4 <which would be very cool!> , etc. ? <-- not sure ) .

Currently, for the mocap, a fast route to go for me has been (but no claim that it is the best, or most recommended way, etc.);
        -----
        I used the scene, "standard_model.casc," and from a default open, no changes, T-pose, etc. I exported out the 'export FBX (scene)' From Cascadeur.

At mixamo.com, upload your fbx scene, pick out a mocap clip for the Cascadeur rig, adjust it, etc. , then download that fbx from mixamo.
        Import that fbx scene back into Cascadeur .

For 3ds Max to Cascadeur; import the fbx from mixamo into Max, add/adjust/edit the mocap, etc., (I put an additional animation layer on in 3ds Max) then export out the fbx from Max (using centimeter for scale). Imported that fbx into Cascadeur, and it worked (yaaa!). The vid in post #2 is the result .

And Happy Friday !

Comment

Here I used it with rayfire in 3ds Max (LUV rayfire), -eventually get some fun physics action going with animations exported out of Cascadeur, etc. ;

Comment

• preecher
            preecher commented
            Editing a comment
            love this!!!

oh dang i totally forgot mixamo even existed :O
          i also didn't realize we had import capabilities now... wondering if i can import my skater characters...

Comment

Originally posted by wrayayrton View Post
            oh dang i totally forgot mixamo even existed :O
            i also didn't realize we had import capabilities now... wondering if i can import my skater characters...
            Great question (if skater characters will import in), fingers crossed !

Comment

--------------
              preecher commented
              Today, 10:42 PM
              love this!!!
              --------------
              Thank You preecher !

Comment

( cool from 80 LVL , "Exploring MK11's Fatal Blows From Side Angle" https://80.lv/articles/exploring-mk1...om-side-angle/ )

Comment

Working...
                X