Adding bones/joints and rigging a custom made 3D model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding bones/joints and rigging a custom made 3D model

Okay, so when I first learned about Cascadeur, I thought it would allow me to rig and animate/manipulate a 3D model I created in another, different software. I've been learning to use 3D-Coat (which is just used for creating/scuplting 3D models [so there's no way to add bones/joints/etc. in 3D-Coat]), and I created a humanoid model (not a very good one, but I'm a beginner) in 3D-Coat. I exported said model as a .fbx, and I am able to import that .fbx model into Cascadeur and make some basic manipulations to it (like change the size of the entire model or rotate the entire model).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cascadeur Image 01.png
Views:	117
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	2282

However, my goal was to be able to take the model and animate it or to at least be able to pose. I sent an e-mail to the Cascadeur team, and here's the conversation so far:

[Me]
    Is there a guide or something available to show how to take a custom model that has no joints/bones on it and setup a basic joint/bone skeleton?

[Cascadeur]
    we are sorry, but there is no skinning in Cascadeur, so this is not possible for now.

[Me]
    Does that mean that there will be an update/release of Cascadeur that will have the ability to add joint/bones to custom made models that don't have joints/bones (which I assume is skinning)? If so, is that something to expect soon-ish or is that going to be a while?

[Cascadeur]
    Skinning is the process of binding a modeled surface to a skeleton.
    You can add the joints, but you can't make the mesh respond to the skeleton.
    This is not planned for Cascadeur,

I decided to move this to the forums since I figured it would be easier to continue this conversation here (and I figured it could be helpful for others). So, here are my remaining questions so far:
    1. Since skinning is not possible in Cascadeur, then does that mean I would have to use another 3D editing/animation software (like Blender) to add bones/joints to any models I make, export my rigged model as a .fbx, and then import the rigged model into Cascadeur? If so...
    2. Then why wouldn't I just continue using the software I used to bind bones/joints to my custom 3D model to animate/pose my custom 3D model? Like what does Cascadeur offer (or will offer in the future) over say Blender in regards to animating 3D models?
    I'm not trying to put down the Cascadeur team or the Cascadeur software itself (and thanks to the Cascadeur team for responding to my inquires). I just want to try to understand the benefits that Cascadeur offers, because my amateur observation of Cascadeur so far is that it currently only let's you make 3D animations with the models and rigs that comes with the software.

Hi Cody,

Wanting to do skinning in Cascadeur is understandable.
    We do have plans of adding skinning, but it is not a top priority - as it can already be done in other available tools.
    With Cascadeur we specialize first and foremost in physics-based 3D animation creation, not in modelling and skinning.

We are aware of the benefits, that skinning will provide:
    If you create a model in a tool like ZBrush, then now you'll have to go the route:
    Zbrush -> Blender(or other) -> Cascadeur.
    Going directly from ZBrush->Cascadeur would be easier.
    But some people are creating their models in Blender and it would not be a problem for them to skin the model in Blender too and then move to Cascadeur.
    Also, if you use character creation software like Daz3d you will get models, that are already skinned.

When we did surveys about the most wanted features, skinning was not in the top positions.
    But we plan to do more surveys soon - and we'll be happy if you participate as well.

"I just want to try to understand the benefits that Cascadeur offers, because my amateur observation of Cascadeur so far is that it currently only let's you make 3D animations with the models and rigs that comes with the software."

This is not the fact.
    As explained, character creation is available in various other (free) tools.
    After that you can easily import your skinned characters into Cascadeur.
    The process is explained in detail in our tutorials and manuals.
    https://cascadeur.com/help/rig
    https://cascadeur.com/learn/rigging

"Like what does Cascadeur offer (or will offer in the future) over say Blender in regards to animating 3D models?"

I am also not trying to put you down, but fact is:
    If you are stuck on the issue of rig creation, you can never get to the real strengths of Cascadeur.

Cascadeur is a tool that uses accurate physical calculations, taking into account important physical values such as center of mass, rotational forces, and inertia, to determine the physically correct motion of 3D characters.

The animator (if he wishes) is additionally supported by numerous intelligent tools or deep-learning-based AI routines and tools (AutoPosing / AutoPhysics), so that for many of our users a simplification of their work results or a lot of tedious routine work is omitted.

If Blender does these tasks sufficiently well for your purposes, then there is indeed no reason for you to use Cascadeur.
    It is really far from us to persuade the users of other tools to switch to Cascadeur.

However, we have the impression that the overwhelming majority of our users have a need for the features described above and are also very satisfied with Cascadeur's performance so far.
    Last edited by Tom Borovskis; 16 November 2021, 19:15.

Comment

Okay, thanks for the explanation. I'll add a rig to my model using some kind of 3D rigging software and then try to mess with it in Cascadeur

Comment

Perfect! We are looking forward to reading your experiences.

Comment

About us
        Cascadeur is a standalone software for creating physically correct keyframe animations for characters, humanoid and otherwise. Make realistic animations from scratch or improve your mocap, while retaining full control over the results.
        Join us
        Working...
        X